Author Topic: A few Totally Newbie Questions  (Read 10527 times)

Eager_Beever

• View Profile
A few Totally Newbie Questions
« on: November 01, 2011, 06:28:07 AM »
I am a Software Developer (mostly Desktop Applications also Web Sites and Web based Applications) and have been thinking of trying my hands on Mobile Development Platform (Android and/or iOS). I must confess from the beginning that I have absolutely no knowledge or experience regarding mobile platform. Also I do not yet own any type of smartphone hardware (Android or iOS). I am trying to learn about Software Development under Android platform by reading materials and watching video tutorials. Sometime back I installed Android SDK from Google site and got it updated too. But I never managed to run the Android Emulator. Hence I was very surprised and happy when I installed YouWave for Android 2.0.0 and found that Android emulator runs without any tweaking. I copied and installed a few Android applications (.apk) that I had downloaded earlier and found them running fine.

Now I have a few questions as noted below and would be grateful if any member can help me in finding solutions to them :

a). I find that the emulator execution speed is very fast. Since I do not have any experience with any Android handset/tablet I can not do a comparison, but will I get the same blazing speed on a REAL Android device?? Also in future release of YouWave for Android will we get different emulators for specific Android hardware device??

b). If I purchase an Android device with say Android 2.2, can I myself upgrade it to a future release like Android 3 or Android 4?? (Like upgrading the desktop/laptop OS from WinXP to Windows 7)

c). Can I develop application and transfer the .apk to my hardware device and use it locally (without going through Market Place)??

d). On my desktop (running WinXP SP3), I have a broadband connection through the LAN card. My connection is configured through a dialer (i.e. bridged mode) but I can reconfigure the router/modem for PPPOE mode, if needed. But when I run YouWave for Android, I am unable to access the Internet through the emulator, even though my Internet connection is active on my desktop and I can browse from my desktop OS. Under Ethernet setting of the emulator, the ethernet device is shown as "eth0". How do I connect to the Internet from the emulator??

e). How do I remove the Email icon from the emulator home screen??

I will be grateful if members can help me in solving these questions. Thank you.

Lalit Barik
India

YouWaveAdmin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: A few Totally Newbie Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 02:36:25 PM »
a) Yes, YouWave's speed is better or at least the same as a real headset/tablet. No, there will not be different emulators for different hardware devices.

b) This will depend on the device vendors whether they will support upgrade. Some people rooted their phone and do the upgrade on their own.

c) Yes, of course. Developers have been doing that.

d) YouWave's internet connectivity should work out of the box. Can you try configuring your PC networking connection with another mode (not the dialer)?

e) You click the icon and drag and drop it into the trash can.
YouWave is updated to Android Lollipop. See youwave.com/download

Eager_Beever

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 07:46:26 PM »
Thanks for your reply and answering the queries.

I reconfigured my broadband router/modem for PPPOE and now I am able to connect to the internet from YouWave Android emulator. It really is fun.

But I am yet to figure out how I can drag the EMail icon from the desktop to the recycle bin (I could not find the recycle bin icon anywhere).

Thanks again.

Lalit Barik
India

YouWaveAdmin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 11:31:25 PM »

Eager_Beever

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 12:12:00 AM »
Thanks again for the quick reply. I feel foolish as being an owner and user of an iPad and iPhone, I should have figured it myself (how to remove an icon from desktop).

Now I have still another query. I know that to install an Android application, I have to copy the .apk file to the "android apps" folder. But how do I play songs using the Android emulator??

Also can you suggest any resource which can help a newbie to learn Software Development for Android platform??

Thanks again.

Lalit Barik
India

YouWaveAdmin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 11:50:41 AM »
To install an Android app, you copy the apk file to a folder and have YouWave to use that folder. The default folder is <user id>/youwave/android apps.

You can download songs through Android in YouWave and play them.

There are many resources on development for Android. You must have known this: http://developer.android.com/index.html is the official site and the group http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers is good.

Eager_Beever

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 11:58:57 AM »
But can I copy songs from my local system to a specific folder (like copying .apk files) and make the emulator play them??

Lalit Barik
India

YouWaveAdmin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 02:12:02 PM »
Copying data from PC hard drive is a feature under work. Currently it is not supported.

Other users use different ways to achieve this:

1. Use dropbox app: http://youwave.com/forum/index.php?topic=334.0
2. Use AndFTP

e60gue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 02:32:34 AM »
there's absolutely a need for a better perhaps downloadable longer pdf manuals for youwave, that being said, most people using youwave are using android for the first time. could you give us links to the appropriate android information in the homepage of youwave? food for thought.. :)

YouWaveAdmin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 06:22:29 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion. We will create a webpage for this purpose.