Author Topic: Affiliate Program?  (Read 20121 times)

koen12344

• View Profile
Affiliate Program?
« on: January 29, 2012, 06:41:31 AM »
Hi,

I own a website that tells people how to install WhatsApp on their computers, and have a massive amount of visitors on it. I could tell them to buy YouWave for that purpose. I was wondering, do you have any kind of affiliate program? Or are you planning on creating one?

Regards,
Koen

YouWaveAdmin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Affiliate Program?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 05:12:46 PM »
Thank you for posting information about how to install WhatsApp on computers. We are researching affiliate program possibilities. However, I'd like to tell you the issues that we are facing. You and other people may have better ideas on how to solve them. We are listening.

First question, will such affiliate program be ads based or profit sharing based, or both?

For ads, YouWave so far has done zero ad champaigns. Our view is that, for a product like YouWave(a new product in a new market), word-of-mouth approach is better than heavy promotions. To some extent, purely through word-of-mouth approach, we have been able to ignite some interests from our users and some users tell other potential users about our product, and so on. Then the issue is whether we can justify and reward the values that those users bring.

Give an example. Facebook today is a billion dollar company, which relies on users telling friends who tell more friends who tell more friends to use their site. Each member of Facebook actually brings value to the company. Some may even be significant. But if Facebook starts to recognize users' contributions in this way and reward them, there would be no Facebook.

If the affiliate program shall be profit sharing, then the question will be how to associate and identify purchases with a particular website or a source, such as a video. There are some infrastructure work to do for such thing to happen. Maybe Paypal can identify a purchase generated from one source?  Then we would have to develop certain token, like a piece of code to count click-throughs, to be installed on third-party sites to count successful purchases. Is this what you have in mind? If you know certain services that can do such job, please let us know.

We are open to suggestions. Let us know your ideas. You may also email us to discuss certain aspects offline.

Update: on a second thought, the above profit sharing method will not work. Our users first download the software and try it. When they are ready to pay, they will likely come to youwave.com for purchase. At that time, the information source would already be lost. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 10:34:52 PM by YouWaveAdmin »
YouWave is updated to Android Lollipop. See youwave.com/download

YouWaveModerator

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 07:28:52 PM »
Koen Reus we meet again. (Owner of WhatsApp Video)

I got a idea for a custom affiliate program... Paypal identifies it's users via email adress, so
If the users fill in there email adresses on the affiliate website before they download youwave...
It's possible to count all the email matches afterwards...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 07:39:53 PM by reconx86 »

Frequent Asked Questions (FAQ) here: http://youwave.com/forum/index.php?topic=3439.0
DO NOT SEND PERSONAL MESSAGES

YouWaveAdmin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 10:34:37 PM »
The issue here is that downloading and purchasing happen at different time. Our users first download s/w and then try it. If the user likes it, he/she may purchase it a few days later on youwave site. How to carry that information from download over to the purchasing stage?

To do that, a token has to survive from the software trial/download to the purchase or key activation. Hmm...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 10:53:13 PM by YouWaveAdmin »

YouWaveModerator

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 04:47:15 AM »
oke what about this one: if the users fill in there email address on the affiliate site
for example: bob@site.com, the page on the affiliate site could post the email adress like this:

www.youwave.com/affiliate.php?site=www.affeliate.com&user=bob@site.com

The information could than be stored in a youwave database with the time & date of the registry
(This page should than forward to the download page...)

If the user decides to purchase the software, a script sends a serial to bob@site.com.
This script could just add that bob@site.com actually bought the software, to the affiliates table in the database.

That way bob@site.com can still be identified as user that came from www.affiliate.com
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 07:55:43 AM by reconx86 »

Frequent Asked Questions (FAQ) here: http://youwave.com/forum/index.php?topic=3439.0

YouWaveAdmin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 09:22:47 AM »
Reconx86,

In your scheme, the token is the user's email address. Theoretically, it may work, assuming everyone user who downloads use a real email address same as the one on Paypal.

However, you probably will be very disappointed to find out that most people to download will not give out such a real email address same as the one on his/her Paypal account. People do not want to disclose that information just for downloading a piece of software. Once in a while, I have seen websites asking me email address for no reason, so I just input mine as "youcannotfindme@nowhere.com".  ;) Doing one more step of email verification will greatly reduce the download amount.

Such token, if ever developed, needs to be automatic and without user's input.

All,
    This is a topic for business development. Send us emails if you want to have in-depth discussion for a win-win solution.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 09:48:18 AM by YouWaveAdmin »

koen12344

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 02:49:30 AM »
Somehow my post gets regarded as spam? Can someone check that?

Hi,

Nice to meet again reconx86, haha. I'm sorry for the late reply, forgot to check for replies  :-X I had this idea for an affiliate system (inspired by the affiliate system from another software program I promote).

Let's say i refer people to your website using the following url:
youwave.com?ref=koen12344 (or something less obvious, hehe)

Now you know that this visitor came from my site. Now you save a cookie to the visitors computer, so you'll still know where he came from after a few days.

So whenever the user decides to buy the software, he will return to the site, and you'll still know which affiliate send this person through the cookie.

Check this out:
Code: [Select]
http://tweetattacks.com/index.php?action=affsignup
Basically they pay 50%. They keep one in every 2 sales. You could do the same:

Sale 1: Paid to YouWave PayPal account
Sale 2: Paid to Affiliate PayPal account
Sale 3: Paid to YouWave PayPal account
Sale 4: Paid to Affiliate PayPal account

Or, to pay only 25%:

Sale 1: Paid to YouWave PayPal account
Sale 2: Paid to YouWave PayPal account
Sale 3: Paid to YouWave PayPal account
Sale 4: Paid to Affiliate PayPal account

Sale 5: Paid to YouWave PayPal account
Sale 6: Paid to YouWave PayPal account
Sale 7: Paid to YouWave PayPal account
Sale 8: Paid to Affiliate PayPal account

Thoughts?

YouWaveAdmin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 12:18:49 PM »
Very interesting.

Are you satisfied with the affiliate system that tweetattacks.com uses?

I noticed that their model is paying before downloading vs. YouWave's trying before paying. But your method using cookie should be fine. People usually do not delete cookies.

Do you have insights on how the system works internally? How accounting and bookkeeping are done? Maybe we can quickly setup one for testing.

Our forum spam filter got triggered by some keywords in your post. It should be ok now.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 12:21:24 PM by YouWaveAdmin »

koen12344

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 12:45:01 AM »
I'm very satisfied with their system. I dont know how their system works. Im not very familiar with the PayPal payment system, but i can put some research into it. If you need any help scripting the system, please tell me :) I'm a experienced PHP programmer, and have put together multiple payment systems.

I currently have a email list of 900 interested people, so its worth the try  ;D

YouWaveAdmin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 01:27:35 PM »
Thanks for offering the help. We will do some research in this arena. The key is to have the cookie working correctly with Paypal.

BTW, you said you have put together multiple payment systems, however you also said you are not familiar with Paypal. What payment systems are popular in your part of the world? Is Paypal good enough?

koen12344

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 07:59:50 AM »
PayPal is great, but i usually work with payment gateways such as Mollie (in the Dutch market), to handle multiple payment options(such as call, SMS, credit cards). But that isnt an option for international payments.

YouWaveModerator

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 11:30:57 PM »
Just to add my 2 cents to the discussion, my idea is simmiliar to the first few ideas, but probably has a more powerfull token... The MAC adress...
The system would consist of: A MySQL table with the following columns: [Cookie ID, MAC addres, email, website, regdate, activated]
also some server side and client side (YouWave) coding:

====================================================================
REGISTRATION PROCESS
STEP 1: User enters his email address on the affiliate website, which gets posted to youwave:
www.youwave.com/affiliate.php?mail=user@domain.com&site=www.affiliate.com

STEP 2: The MySQL table gets updated with the email, website & regdate information. A unique Cookie ID or hash gets generated and stored on the server side (MySQL Table), as well as the client side (Within the Cookie). To identify users, even if they filled in bogus email addresses... MAC addresses can't be determined by PHP so a nice work around would be STEP 3...

STEP 3: If possible: you could make the YouWave Emulator itself, read the browsers cookie and MAC address on the first time run. And post it back to a PHP page that then updates the MAC address column in the MySQL table. This for security reasons, because the code could be decompiled and MySQL passwords extracted. PRO: if STEP 3 could be implemented, email registration would become unnecessary...

MAC ADDRESS IDENTIFICATION (WHEN ACTIVATED)
If STEP 3 of the REGISTRATION PROCESS is possible the YouWave Emulator could identify the user via MAC Address again upon product activation.
The MySQL activated column could than be altered to 1... At the row where the MAC address matches the buyer.

If implementation of STEP 3 for some reason is not possible... Than the alternative solution would be COOKIE IDENTIFICATION

COOKIE IDENTIFICATION (WHEN ACTIVATED)
The Product key script could be altered to read the Cookie ID at the moment it sends the serial, it can than post the Cookie ID back to YouWave.
CON: some people remove there cookies (to increase performance as part of there maintenance routine)

PS: STEP 3 should technically be possible, my concern is encryption and maybe different directory paths to cookies, by the many browsers available today.
My knowledge in this area is currently poor, so you can not rely on my concern, maybe it's all prety easy.

Let me know if I can assist or help clarify my ideas on te subject.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 12:17:09 AM by reconx86 »

koen12344

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 12:39:30 PM »
Any updates on this?

@reconx86, it doesnt have to be overly complicated. Simply dropping a cookie with the affiliate ID (in some encrypted way) would be sufficient. Whenever someone buys YouWave, you simply check IF there is a cookie, and which affiliate it came from

YouWaveModerator

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 09:39:48 PM »
well the issue is that cookies get removed as a part of some users maintenance routine and for the token to surive the 7 day trial period.
why not use a token that youwave emulator can alway access. A MAC address can never be removed.

It's the best way for the token to survive the 7 day trial period
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 03:54:48 AM by reconx86 »

YouWaveAdmin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 09:20:37 PM »
Sorry it takes a while for us to follow it up. We checked several affiliate program solutions and are not satisfied any of them. The key is that it is not possible to be 100% accurate. Maybe we should not be 100% accurate and that's OK.

Also, at this stage, YouWave cannot adopt a solution that is too complicated. Such marketing promotion program should not be closely tied with the product development itself. So we are against changing the product greatly just for implementing the program. The reason is that, if market condition and promotion program changes, the product would be adversely affected.

So an ideal solution is: do not change the software, but only implement such program on the website or on the selling process.

We feel the cookie solution might be OK. But there will be problems as reconx86 pointed out.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 09:35:53 PM by YouWaveAdmin »