Author Topic: VirtualBox Source  (Read 6491 times)

Jondice

• View Profile
VirtualBox Source
« on: February 25, 2012, 09:20:48 AM »
Hello,

It seems youwave is essentially a specialized version of VirtualBox (not to discredit any of the additions you guys have made, it is pretty great).  Just curious though about how the licensing works since I saw VirtualBox is largely GPL/CDDL, and where one can find the source code?

YouWaveAdmin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: VirtualBox Source
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 12:15:29 AM »
YouWave, which has multiple components running independently, is much more than a VirtualBox, . For YouWave, the VirtualBox component runs as separate tasks from other proprietary components. If you run YouWave, you can observe this structure clearly. Indeed, there are some simple code changes in VirtualBox for customization. But those changes are very small. As a matter of fact, one can learn more about how VirtualBox runs in YouWave by directly checking the flat files under <user>/.VirtualBox directory. Nevertheless, following GPL rules, YouWave's VirtualBox portion source code is open. You may contact info at youwave.com to request the source of the VirtualBox portion.

Please also note that YouWave's other components (where most of our works are) not only run in separate tasks, but also do not rely on VirtualBox's internal to function. This means that one can swap VirtualBox out of YouWave's structure and replace it with a different virtual machine engine and the whole software shall work. Our Android work has nothing to do with VirtualBox. Per GPL rules, in this structure, other components are not derivative work and are allowed to be closed source.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 01:26:23 AM by YouWaveAdmin »
YouWave is updated to Android Lollipop. See youwave.com/download

pamoxi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 08:51:10 AM »
"...This means that one can swap VirtualBox out of YouWave's structure and replace it with a different virtual machine engine and the whole software shall work. Our Android work has nothing to do with VirtualBox...."

So why not fix the incompatibility with Virtualbox, so I can buy it and install it with the assurance that it will not interfere with my virtual machines?

YouWaveModerator

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 09:05:36 AM »
YouWave Basic only installs to 1 user account, enabling other user accounts to host VirtualBox.
YouWave Home however installs to all accounts... We're working on a solution

PS: Not sure but the geust account, probably allows VirtualBox installation.

Frequent Asked Questions (FAQ) here: http://youwave.com/forum/index.php?topic=3439.0
DO NOT SEND PERSONAL MESSAGES

pamoxi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 07:49:23 PM »
I am a programmer and would be wasting a lot of my time changing user to be able to use the program. I need the programming software, my VMs and test program (YourWave in this case) to work with the same user.
I'll wait until you can fix the problem. Thank you.

YouWaveAdmin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 10:00:34 PM »
Thank you for your feedback. We will remove this limitation in our upcoming releases.
YouWave is updated to Android Lollipop. See youwave.com/download

Zapyaforpc

• View Profile