Author Topic: Feature Request: Drag & Drop Sidepanel  (Read 6264 times)

YouWaveModerator

• View Profile
Feature Request: Drag & Drop Sidepanel
« on: March 12, 2012, 03:10:41 AM »
I have been using youwave for quite some time now... it was until later I became familiar with the functionality of the sidepanel...
So I found out placing APK files in the directory: %USERPROFILE%\youwave\android apps would make them available in the sidepanel...
Cool right... but it's not a really popular method, because you have to browse thru all the directories to get one APK in there...
So I would always end up, using the slower dropbox method, because it requires less clicking....

So just now I had to rename my VDI files which removed all of my files... but the sidepanel apps stayed in place.
Which is pretty cool... but still the sidepanel is not my favoured place for putting APK's because of all the clicking....
So just now it hit me, why not make the sidepanel a Drag & Drop target?

So the sidepanel would become a more usefull/attractable place to put APK's in ...  It will also increase the ease of people installing there APK's on youwave :)
I am convinced this is a must have option, since sidepanel APK's seem to survive re-installs also ;D

update
AS A EXTRA:
- You could also associate YouWave with APK files, to show there affinity.... so people could double click and load the APK's in the sidepanel and if not they could at least see a other icon than the blank ones (currently)... But please use one of the ideas  :)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 05:10:31 PM by reconx86 »

Frequent Asked Questions (FAQ) here: http://youwave.com/forum/index.php?topic=3439.0
DO NOT SEND PERSONAL MESSAGES

YouWaveModerator

• View Profile
Re: Feature Request: Drag & Drop Sidepanel
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 02:33:53 AM »
Is this a go or no go? ???

Frequent Asked Questions (FAQ) here: http://youwave.com/forum/index.php?topic=3439.0

YouWaveAdmin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 02:20:24 PM »
This is a very useful suggestion. It takes time for us to reply because it is such a complicated topic. We also found that many first time users do not know how to use the sidepanel or find it inconvenient.

But designing a good UI is very hard. Let's do a design exercise of drag & drop feature here:
First, do we keep a separate copy in the side panel. If we do, how to keep the file in sync with the original copy? If we only keep a sym-link in the side panel, what happens when the original file moves?
Second, if there are many files, do we need to organize them? Some users will complain that it is hard to manage files.
Third, what is the drag & drop source? Is this a Windows Explorer window? If yes, how the user would know it is possible to do drag and drop?  When an app is being moved, we have to develop a shaded version of icon. Then that icon has to be associated with Windows service.

We like to idea of apk file type association. We have something planned on the line you were talking about. At this moment, we'd like to keep it wrapped.
YouWave is updated to Android Lollipop. See youwave.com/download

YouWaveModerator

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 02:06:52 AM »
Well why not keep it simple than? :p

if the sidepanel is a drag&drop target... it reacts to APK's being dropped right?
1. So if that event is being triggered all it should do is activate the copy command and place the APK in the right folder...
2. After that event was succesfully triggered, it should only refresh the sidepanel to show the new icon...

Also YouWave could show a message that the file has been imported into youwave.
With a "Do not show this message again" checkmark, like this:
http://www.mechworks.com/whatsnew2007eng/images/ui01.png

So just 2-steps and a message prompt shouldnt require a lot of coding?
===========================================================================================

About the managment part, I think this part should be developped over several updates
because people still need to familiarize themselves with the feature and actualy like to use it...
But a idea could be sub-folders or tabs... for games, IMs, etc
===========================================================================================
A sym-link is nice, but like you said sym-links could be very hard to keep track off...

But in the end it's all about, the end user experience, if someone deletes the APK file by mistake...
he might blame youwave for developping a poor product, so I would be more concerned about the end user, than the resource part...

Since APK's don't have such a big impact on hard discs compared to other software products, nowadays...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 07:47:43 PM by reconx86 »

YouWaveModerator

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 06:51:16 AM »
Is it a good idea?

AndroidFan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 10:44:00 AM »
Hope things work out...

YouWaveAdmin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 11:09:42 AM »
This is a good idea. But our thinking is leaning towards a different direction. We'd like to keep the idea wrapped for now.
YouWave is updated to Android Lollipop. See youwave.com/download